Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: AG Addiction Theory

  1. #1
    Inactive Member MissMooMoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2005
    Posts
    451
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think there is a reason we all want to keep buying dolls, even when we already have several.

    Some of us are addicted to the new doll "high." That rush of excitement when you see a UPS truck. The thrill of cutting open that cardboard box. The chase of wading through foam peanuts, seeking your newest dollie. Opening the box, the scent of a new arrival from Wisconsin.

    Sigh. You just want to live it everyday.

    To those of you not addicted to the rush, more power to you.

    I think the Dolls are a gateway product. . .I for one find myself craving furniture, "the hard stuff."

  2. #2
    rolloverrover
    Guest rolloverrover's Avatar

    Post

    My AG collection has something to do with maternal instincts/baby love.

    When my boys were definitely out of the toddler stage and my maternal instincts kicked in for wanting more children (though we were done), we got a kitten.

    Several years later, when those instincts kicked in again, we got another kitten.

    Two cats is enough (and we already have a dog). AGs fill that "void" that I still feel from time-to-time. And no messy litterbox!

    I hope this makes sense.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think when a new doll comes out to me it's thrilling to buy the doll almost as soon as they come out. That's what happened to me with Elizabeth. I knew I was going to love Elizabeth so I bought her from my PS and I was really excited to see all the new things.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member amandajg's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 20th, 2004
    Posts
    407
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think it's a strange way for me to stay the same. when I was 7 I got my first AG doll, and every few years I'd get another. Now that I'm older and I'm happy that my love for AG hasn't gone away (it sounds silly, but when I was little I actually DREADED the day I'd get sick of AG... never did! My love for them hit a lull, but never faded) and I think that (and I know this sounds cliche) as the things in my life change, one thing that remains a constant is my AG collection. I can always go home and see my old collection and it's incredibly comforting to have my "AG Collection Part II" (Kit and soon AGT25) with me here. I can certainly relate to the high of getting a new doll... definitely an AMAZING feeling and well worth the $87 just for that feeling alone! ... but to me, the addiction is something deeper and more meaningful because I guess in a weird way, getting AG dolls and accessories, even if they're new items, it just feels like there's something constant and consistent and something I can always look forward to in my life. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member carolinapooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2005
    Posts
    631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am DEFINITELY addicted to that high Miss MooMoo talks about...MAN do I love coming home and seeing A Box on the front porch, no matter its size...

    Dolls are the AG gateway drug...after all, after a new girl arrives you've GOT to get her some new clothes...and then some accessories...and I too am seeing a need for AG case goods....*sigh*...I'm hooked.


    Right now, my dolls keep me company with DH away...and they help me with my memories of Daddy, who was a big AG fan himself. (When my shelves go up in my doll room, Molly's bike, a gift from my Daddy almost ten years ago, will take pride of place on a special shelf of its own.) They also allow me to connect with Mama (you should have heard me hissing into the cell phone at work when the new stuff showed up on the web - HILARIOUS) and give me something to "pass on" to and share with my nieces.

    My sister in law had her baby about two months ago, and I can't wait to introduce my British niece-in-law to AG! I'm planning on getting her a Bitty Baby next Christmas (I can't wait any longer than that!).

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Starearedkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2005
    Posts
    617
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    With me its a little different as never having them as a kid. Oh, I always wanted one! I discovered them just around the time Felicity came out-1991. I was 11. I was also a sensible 11 year old-and realized a few things. 1) I never liked dolls, so if I got an AG, who is to say I may not like it and it would be a waste of money. 2) Even though I knew my parents could afford it, I thought they were too expensive to buy. (role change here [img]smile.gif[/img] My parents would have bought me one. 3)I never that even if I did love it, and man did I want Samantha, that I was 11 and I'd grow out of it soon-so I couldn't justify it.

    Yes, that went through my head when I was 11! So, I never got one. I just read all the catalogs and made a list of all Samantha's things.

    So then I moved out-and money was short. So I resumed collecting cheaper items from my childhood. I still looked at the catalog though!

    Then I moved in with my fiancee. I got one thing I was never allowed as a kid-a Kitten! That one kitten turned into four eventually.

    I kept on looking at the catalog.

    Last year around November, I discovered AGPNY. I wanted to move in. That December I made my purchase with holiday money-I bought Nellie.

    So now I have a husband, four cats, a rabbit, and 6 AGs.

    So much for the sensible 11 year old in me talking!

    -Jordyn

  7. #7
    Inactive Member pajamarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2004
    Posts
    265
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the Dolls are a gateway product. . .I for one find myself craving furniture, "the hard stuff."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is so funny! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks for the laugh!

    Lea

    [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member jenndon's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 15th, 2005
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What a great topic. It's perfect for me, because I am trying to figure out exactly why I am so taken by them, when a month ago, all I knew was "they were these $100 dolls."

    I can identify with so many of the answers. I never had a hobby or a collection when I was younger (other than books!), so maybe that's part of it??

    I was also a fairly "sensible" child, so maybe letting myself follow this desire is reliving something there. . . ?

    And my "baby" 15 month old boy, who will be my last, is growing up, so maybe this will help me cope with that, as someone mentioned.

    And let me add one compelling reason for me--my oldest and only daughter is 7 and growing up fast, and if she wants to play with dolls and we can be interested together, then I'll throw $$ at them until dh cuts us off!

  9. #9
    Inactive Member ksami's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2005
    Posts
    447
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, I guess it is an addiction, no matter how I try to look at it. AG "got me" from a very early age, so that now I can't imagine life without them!

    I'm a Samantha completist, so there is definitely the rush of trying to get "everything" and beat AG's evil retirement schemes! But I think - I hope - that it's much deeper than that. I do think of my Samantha as a very old, very dear friend. She's my first doll and she's been with me since I was nine. I'm now in college - needless to say we've been through a lot together! When I buy new stuff for her, I guess in a weird sort of way I feel like I'm buying presents for her. A pretty new dress, a cool new sleigh, a best friend... ! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] Yes, she's a friend with expensive taste, but she's a girl after my own heart! It puts a smile on my face to be able to take time out of a busy schedule, sit down with Samantha, and play with her and Nellie and all their things. Or read with them a bit before bedtime. Or just have one of them sit on my desk while I study!

    I have another theory to add - I think we're addicted to these dolls and love them so much because they're such "pleasant" company!

  10. #10
    Inactive Member amandajg's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 20th, 2004
    Posts
    407
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jordyn, that's such a cute story! I would say you have effectively suppressed your "sensible" inner 11 year-old self. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •